Sunday, May 13, 2018

Resources

I noticed that all four sources talk about rethinking the way we use the tools we have access to. Lirenman (2012) talks about using twitter for her PLN to re-imagine ways to utilize technology. The Mindshift (2013) article discusses how we should or could think about how we present curriculum to students. How can we get students to become more accountable for their learning? Alexander (2013) briefly touches on how he uses social media to input and output information. He explores different avenues of sharing (podcasts, email, social media) to gather information he couldn't find elsewhere. The Infowhelm (2010) video discusses how much technology has become prevalent and challenges us to think about how we may need to change the way we educate our students. 

The focus of Lirenmen and Alexander are more about using social media in ways to improve how we gather information from fellow teachers. Whereas Mindshift and Infowhelm focus more on students and how our curriculum may need to shift to accommodate for how much people are now exposed to and involved in technology. 

After reading/watching these articles I can say that my goals are more prevalent than ever. I will need to obtain a different skill set in order to properly prepare my students for the future in technology. I teach 2nd grade and they have technology classes within their specials rotations, but I can see that's not enough. They still struggle with the fundamentals such as logging in, typing in a website, and locating the websites, from the google results, that I have on the board. They will be using technology more than I ever did in school and in order to use they will need to change their skill set as well as their mindset. They need to be able to think critically about what they find as they grow older especially when anyone can post whatever they want anywhere they want. 

1 comment:

  1. You made a very interesting comment about how students need to think critically to be able to find trustworthy material. I also agree with this and the fact that students need help with basic skills. I feel that technology has hindered students from being critical thinkers. Just today in my classroom a students asked me for a calculator and of course, we do not use them at this age. I asked her why she needed a calculator and she said that it would be quicker than using her scratch paper..... We are living in a fast paced world that wants everything right away and not have to work hard to get it.

    ReplyDelete