Sunday, May 20, 2018

Reflective Searching

I learned early on that typing in an entire phrase or one singular word into Google wasn't going to get me the results I wanted. I attribute that to the fact that I was around technology at home and in school throughout my education. I had computer classes in elementary that taught me about typing and I used similar programs at home. After that I learned what I should and should not do on the internet in middle school. That included researching methods, what we now call "fake news", and to be careful what I share with others. I even learned how to build a website (long forgotten information honestly and a little obsolete) in middle school. Everything came full circle in high school where I had to really learn how to research for papers. I was taught hints and tips to find exactly what I need and how to spot a credible versus an incredible source which boiled down to "Can you site this source?". If not, we couldn't use it. 

That has stuck with me throughout college and now. It has allowed me to find almost anything I need except for maybe more obscure concepts or new information. I hardly ever need to go to page two of Google because I can use resources from other sites that I know are credible. I can use what they found and create different pathways that are more specific to my needs. 

Because of how I was raised in the technology age and the curriculum from all of my schools I think that I learned good research habits early on. I don't think I'm an expert and it still may take me longer than I like, but I can trust I can find good material the first or second time in my searches. 

Resources
Information behaviour of the researcher of the future. (2008). University College London

1 comment:

  1. I'm curious to know your experiences with your students. How has your ability to effectively search helped them in their techniques? Are they able to search "correctly," or is that something you have struggled with as well? I find myself in almost the same boat as you...I grew up with the technology, so these skills are relatively second-nature to me, though I sometimes find myself falling into the same habits as my students. I sometimes struggle with the idea that I have learned how to search effectively, and now I am the one teaching them. I forget that they simply don't know, and I often lose my patience trying to understand them. In a world where technology is absolutely the norm, it is becoming increasingly important for us, as educators, to create better stewards of our digital community.

    ReplyDelete